Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Drop it Like It's Hot

Ok, ok... I know it has been a while since I have lade down some technology knowledge for classroom use, but since my MacBook was stolen in October, I've been sort of lost in space and I'm just now finding myself. Sad part about the entire fiasco was loosing so many personal items like photos that I hadn't had the opportunity to upload elsewhere. The cool thing is, I was still able to grab a ton of files, music and important work documents because I use a cloud storage device.

Let me introduce you, if you haven't been already formally acquainted to Dropbox. Dropbox allows you to get rid of the flash drive and always have your information readily accessible on all device that you have it loaded to, or from any computer that has online capability. Folders can be shared with anyone you like, and you and your cohorts can utilize the same documents from anywhere. Here in Mesquite ISD we have a teacher share folder, but the problem is, you can only access the folder from the Mesquite ISD server. With dropbox, you can start working on a project at work, save it to Dropbox, open it at home then share it will a colleague just by dropping it in your shared folder. Your colleagues can see exactly when you upload the document to the folder or even when someone makes changes as soon as it is dropped. Collaboration made easy!

The really cool thing about Dropbox is deleting file. My wonderful thief and new owner of my macbook attempted to delete all my files that were stored in Dropbox. However, I accessed my Dropbox account online and I was able to restore all my deleted files. If an item is deleted from any device, your online account will archive the file just in case you didn't truly mean to delete it in the first place. Hallelujah!

Check out the video for more info, then ditch the flash drive (that you loose so many times anyway) and drop a Dropbox on your device today!

No comments:

Post a Comment